In 2011, Ledcor undertook the entire civil and electrical construction for the 55 wind turbine generators for Suncor Energy’s largest wind power project in Canada. At peak operation, the Wintering Hills Wind Power Project generates 88-megawatts of energy, enough clean electricity to power approximately 35,000 Alberta homes while displacing the equivalent of 200,000 tons of carbon dioxide per year.
Working in tight worksites and near active oil and gas infrastructure not only required critical attention to staging activities to meet quick turnaround times, but also required crews to conduct multiple daily sweeps to locate buried utilities—reinforcing Ledcor’s commitment to high safety standards.
Cleanliness and disinfection of all equipment before mobilization to avoid cross contamination of soils and noxious weeds on private landowners’ properties was also very important in reducing the environmental impact where we operated.
Scope of work:
· Construction of turbine foundations
· Temporary access roads construction
· Permanent low impact roads construction
· Underground cable connector system
· Ground wires installation
· Fibre optic cable installation
· Substation building foundations