Constructed in Fall 2012, the new home of Pharmaceutical Sciences at the University of British Columbia brings all of the faculty’s teaching, learning, research, and outreach under one roof for the first time.
The six-floor, 23,200 m2
) building was designed by award-winning Montreal architects Saucier+Perrotte with Vancouver’s Hughes Condon Marler, and built to LEED Gold standards by Ledcor.
Inspired by tree roots excavated from the building site, the design addresses sustainability in several key areas, including transportation, energy, water, and materials, with a special focus on recycled and regionally sourced materials. During the construction phase, at least 94 percent of waste was diverted from landfills.
Built to LEED Gold specifications
94% of construction waste recycled or salvaged
6-story, 250,000 sq. ft. structure
In April 2014, this project was awarded with the prestigious Governor General's Medals in Architecture. The awards were created by RAIC/Architecture Canada and are administered jointly with the Canada Council for the Arts. The RAIC is a voluntary association established in 1907 to act as the voice of
architects in Canada, and represents about 4,800 members.
about the award.