Equipment Operator - Sideboom - Pipeline
Location: AB - Northern Alberta
Job ID: 7691
Job Status: Open
Ledcor Pipeline’s track record includes construction of 2” to 60” pipelines including mainline cross country construction utilizing mechanized welding in a variety of geographic terrain including prairie, muskeg, heavily forested and mountainous regions.
Ledcor is seeking experienced Sideboom Operators for our Pipeline project located throughout Northern Alberta. The Sideboom Operator will operate heavy duty equipment in accordance with quality, safety and efficiency standards.
- Effectively and safely operates both hydraulic and mechanical sidebooms utilizing machine specific controls and machine attachments to complete all necessary tasks related to pipeline construction. This includes operating on adverse terrain, in winter operations, and/or near other equipment and power lines.
- Utilizes Sideboom in crowded, fast-paced working environments, and exercises extreme caution with awareness of potential situational hazards to ensure site safety.
- Interprets verbal and non-verbal communication (including hand signals) from operators, ground personal and swampers, and acts accordingly
- Performs mechanical inspections and servicing including sideboom controls and operations, completing log books, performs maintenance and adjustments, ensures good housekeeping, and performs machine lubrication
- Performs effective operation of equipment by recognizing unusual machine movements and sounds
- Recognizes existing and potential hazards and knows how to identify these through conducting a field level pre-job hazard analysis, checking the machine for hazards and assessing any tasks before start
- May perform other related duties as assigned
- Minimum of 3 years experience with sideboom's which can include: completion of a one-to two-year apprenticeship program or some high school, college or industry courses in sideboom operating combined with a minimum of 1-2 years of directly related work experience with hydraulic sideboom experience.
- Must have experience and knowledge using manuals, sideboom configuration, pre-use inspections, maintenance and practical use of sidebooms
- Must be able to interpret capacity chart(s) and identify the rigging requirements
- Must be able to understand the capacity of each component and the relationships between the length of the boom, length of cable, cable size and load limits
- Previous experience working with pipe >12”
- Any operational safety certificates (i.e. PCST, Ground Disturbance, First Aid, H2S, WHMIS) not already obtained will be assessed and safety training will be provided as required
- Must successfully meet pre-access drug and alcohol testing requirements
- Must have a valid form of government issued photo identification
- Willing to provide a valid driver abstract
- Must be willing to live in camp on winter projects for duration of project
We offer an exceptional work environment. Management is approachable, ethical and accountable. Innovation is respected, effort is rewarded and job safety is a primary focus for absolutely everyone: zero incidents is the goal. Hours are reasonable, home life is encouraged and compensation is competitive.
- Camp accommodations or living out allowance provided for eligible candidates as per the pre-job conference report.
- Must be willing to move as the project progresses
- Shift is 6/1 shift rotation working 10-12 hours per day commencing on Mondays
- Additional overtime may be required based on project schedule
- Discretionary performance based bonuses
- Extended benefits provided by Christian Labour Association of Canada
- Work will be throughout northern Alberta which has will involve working through terrain that has many hills.
- Work will be outdoors in cold weather conditions.