Health, Safety & Environmental Protection Coordinator
Category: Health, Safety & Environmental Protection
Location: AB - Fort McMurray
Job ID: 6440
Job Status: Open
We construct amazing things from the ground up – huge, multidisciplinary projects, all over the continent – and we're looking for some equally amazing people to join in and lend a hand.
We are currently seeking a Health, Safety, and Environmental Protection Coordinator for our project site in Ft. McMurray. The HS&E Coordinator is responsible for applying the professional practices required of Health, Safety and Environment professionals at a Ledcor work/project site to achieve the corporate goal of zero incidents. This person must consistently convey mature professional judgment, be competent in the safety management, system, technical and managerial knowledge required of a HS&E professional. They should be able to apply them in a work setting with minimal to no supervision.
- Works within HS&E team to provide advice to Operations management on HS&E issues and topics
- Understands and applies HS&E tools, requirements and processes to project site work processes including Industrial Hygiene and Occupational Health practices
- Performs general administrative and recordkeeping functions and procedures including: tracking prequalification data, reviewing sub-contractors’ safety programs, maintaining inventory for all hazardous products used on the project as well as first aid and personal protective equipment on site, and the maintenance and filing of confidential information and spreadsheets
- Demonstrates Ledcor core values by creating clear and timely “Flash Reports” and participating in detailed, fact based incident investigations and management
- Develops skills and techniques in the implementation of Ledcor’s HS&E Program, under the tutelage of senior HS&E staff.
- Actively learns and acquires clear competence and understanding about client and Ledcor’s HS&E program in all types of situations (project start up, duration and close out) - expectations and processes
- Participates in project site Operations staff safety meetings
- Develops materials for daily work crew Tool Box Talk (TBT) meeting and/or able to independently lead TBT and Safety meetings.
- Participates in the development and enhancement of Safe Work Practices and Job Hazard Assessments
- Works HS&E issues to completion with accuracy. Seeks to understand and meet the demands of various stakeholders, including internal and external clients
- Acquires basic knowledge of site safety program, emergency response, fire control systems, personal protective equipment.
- Capable of leading delivery of Ledcor site Safety orientation
- A minimum of 3+ years in a full-time Health and Safety role. Industrial Construction industry experience is preferred
- Fully qualified CSO, NCSO, or CRSP
- Related post-secondary HSE degrees, diplomas and certification will be considered an asset
- Outgoing, eager to learn, open to change, enjoys working hard, and has the ambition to grow in the HS&E field
- Willingness to take action when directed. Understand timelines for decisions required (e.g. Under direction of others, delivers on commitments)
- Practices attentive and active listening and is skilled at questioning to ensure understanding
- Is a direct and authentic communicator confident of interacting with key client and Ledcor contacts in verbal, written and electronic form
- Builds productive relationships with HS&E and operations. Is seen as a cooperative and supportive team player to achieve team goals and objectives
- Understands and uses OH&S requirements on the job and has the ability to solve problems based on clearly defined procedures.
- Strong computer background including experience with MS Word and Excel
We offer an exceptional work environment. Management is approachable, ethical and accountable. Innovation is respected, effort is rewarded and job safety is a primary focus for absolutely everyone : zero incidents is the goal. Hours are reasonable, home life is encouraged and remuneration is competitive.
- This is a site based rotational role.
- Camp and travel are provided.